It seems like everyone is using Facebook these days. Some people are still unsure about using it. This week each post will be about Facebook. It is not a attempt to get you to use it if you have not. I think it is good for you to make your own decision. That is why this first post talks about the pros and cons of using it. If you have any questions or comments I hope you will add them.
Facebook is the largest Social Network (online program that connects people) and has around 750 million active users. Listed below are some of the features of the site:
- Many people have reunited with old friends or family members.
- It is an easy place to share photos of yourself and your family for others to see.
- It allows people to see things about you that you may not have shared or had time to tell them. When we were recently doing a home remodel I posted pictures of the progress as it happened. I was surprised at the number of people from my work that commented on it. I have also been aware of vacations or important things that have happened to coworkers that I may not have known about and it helped build closeness.
- It is easy to share one thing to everyone you know with one message.
- Many people are concerned about privacy issues with Facebook. At times the company has seemed to not respect the privacy of users, but because of backlash has set up easier to use settings. Setting privacy settings in Facebook will be another post. There are many choices so that you can customize who can see which parts of your page. However, there is always concern about privacy when so much of your own content is stored on someone else's servers.
- Another common concern is bullying. This has become quite a problem for teenagers. It is very easy to victimize someone online and make fun of their profile. Some people have also found out how to hack into others accounts.
- An interesting and unclear topic is who owns all of the content on Facebook. Do they have the right to your information and photos or do you still own them after you have posted them there? What about when someone passes away? What happens to their profile and their page?