LET'S MEET ONLINE

LET'S MEET ONLINE! Call (512)560-2609 or email helpimnotageek@gmail.com and set up a time for a session. It works really well. We talk on the phone while I see your screen.

Monday, July 29, 2019

Searching Tips

SEARCHING

This week it has been occurring to me how often I wonder things and find answers with my computer. I use Chrome as my browser and Google as my search engine. Other browsers are Internet Explorer, Safari and Firefox. Common search engines are Bing, Yahoo, and Google.

Just a few examples from this week:

Curiosity
I wondered how many times you can recycle something. I went to Google and typed in "How many times can you recycle plastic?" I learned a lot. If you are interested you may want to check this site out.

https://earth911.com/

Concern
My cat is getting old and didn't seem to be eating much. I typed in "old cat eating". I did get lots of ads for cat food, but among the results was one that gave me the information I wanted.

https://icatcare.org/advice/elderly-cats

Productivity
All sorts of information for my taxes.
Billing Inquiries-checking the details of charges.
I was able to find my Property taxes from last year and print out the statement. I was able to find out how much we paid on Car Insurance, Home Insurance, Cell Phone, and Internet we paid.  It was easy.  I remember digging through file folders trying to find all of those records!  It was so frustrating.

How To
I often look up something I don't know how to do by just writing my question. The best way to do this is to go to YouTube and type in what you want to do. Recently I have learned how to replace my car headlight, what to do about a singing toilet, and how to fold a palm leaf cross.



Translation 
I am taking a Spanish class. Occasionally words come up that even my teacher is not sure how to translate. It is very easy to just type the word and look at the results to find the translation to English.

Reviews
When purchasing almost anything I read a review first. What I always do is type what it is and the word review. If it is technology I try to give as much information as possible, like including the company and model. There are usually several choices in the search results. I find that reading more than one gives me good comparison information, so I can make a good decision.

searching for cat images
Photos
Sometimes the way I start is to type what I am looking for into the Google Search Engine. Then I click on Images so that I only get images. The problem with this is that there are so many results that I cannot use because they are copyrighted. If I limit the results to the ones that are free to use (by clicking on Tools and then choosing Usage-Free for reuse) often there are not very many good images. So, now I start by going to Wikimedia Commons and searching there.

Recipes
So often I have one ingredient that I want to use up and need to find something I can make out of it. I just type Recipe- and the name of the ingredient and get LOTS of options. It is a fun way to find new things to eat!

I was surprised while writing this how many times I use the Internet to search. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment